Today's market overview
TODAY: UK shares open modestly higher, but amid a mood of continuing caution. China has slightly liberalised its currency by widening the bands within which it can trade against other currencies. Spain's rising bond yields continue to cause concern. US retail sales data is due out this afternoon and Wall Street's first-quarter earning season continues.
Key UK company news:
• French power producer GDF SUEZ has won the support of the independent directors of UK subsidiary
• Shares in oil exploration technology firm
• Set-top box technology firm
• Capital and Counties, the real estate firm which wants to redevelop a huge swathe of west London, now has a clearer idea of how much it will have to pay for land in Earls Court & West Kensington.
• Caspian Sea-focused oil and gas giant
• Coal producer
• East London focused residential developer
• Engineering data and design information technology systems provider
• Russian mining giant Polymetal said it was on track to hit ambitious targets this year after significant increases in gold and silver production in the first quarter.
• Mining giant EVRAZ said that consolidated crude steel production increased by five per cent from the fourth quarter of 2011 to the first quarter of 2012 as growth in Russia, North America and South Africa offset declines in output in Ukraine and Europe
Read more news and analysis on shares.