Archive 

Jupiter Euro Opps seeks global winners

The Jupiter European Opportunities Trust has a much higher weighting to the UK (currently 27 per cent) than many of its peers. But while Alex Darwall, fund manager of the Jupiter European Opportunities Trust describes himself as a "pan-European investor" he takes a very bottom-up approach to stock selection, focusing on the company rather than the country it is domiciled in - or for that matter - the market it is listed on.

"The UK looks every bit as bad as southern Europe, but I hold UK companies because they are not necessarily about the UK," says Mr Darwall.

Similarly, his low exposure to Europe's PIIGS (Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain) economies is due to the fact that he cannot currently find a company here which meets his stock selection criteria.

Mr Darwall seeks out strong companies with attributes such as a flexible business, pricing power and recurrent demand, which produce a differentiated product or service in an industry with high barriers to entry. Around 70 per cent of the fund's portfolio is in companies described as 'global winners' - have a strong technology and business franchises; while the remaining 30 per cent have strong, sustainable local franchises.

Diverse earnings are also an important criterion: top 10 holdings Novo Nordisk and Syngenta, for example, achieve less than 1 per cent of their sales in the countries in which they are registered - Denmark and Switzerland respectively.

The approach seems to have paid off: the trust has outperformed its benchmark and peer group over one and five years.

JUPITER EUROPEAN OPPORTUNITIES TRUST (JEO)
PRICE215.5pNAV250.94p
SIZE OF FUND£235m*PRICE DISCOUNT TO NAV14.12%
BENCHMARKFTSE World Europe Ex-UK1 PRICE PERFORMANCE73.7%*
SET UP DATENovember 20003 YR PRICE PERFORMANCE-0.01%*
MANAGER START DATENovember 20005 YR PRICE PERFORMANCE11.2%*
BETA1.4*TOTAL EXPENSE RATIO1.29%
3-YR MEAN7.53%*YIELD0.34%*
STANDARD DEVIATION33%*GEARING117.50%
3 YR SHARPE RATIO0.12*MORE DETAILSwww.jupiteronline.co.uk

Source: Datastream, *Morningstar

Performance figures as at 26 April 2010

Top ten holdings as at 31 March 2010

HoldingPercentage
Novo Nordisk6.9
Novozymes6.9
Experian6.3
Neopost6.0
Johnson Matthey5.7
Croda International5.7
Syngenta5.2
Reed Elsevier5.0
Vopak4.9
Aixtron4.3

Source: Jupiter

Geographic Allocation

CountryPercentage
United Kingdom27.0
France21.0
Denmark17.8
Germany13.3
Netherlands12.6
Sweden9.2
Switzerland6.9
Norway6.1
Others1.5
Cash-15.5

Related topics

Subscribe today

Full access for just £3.37 a week:

• Tips and recommendations - to beat the market 
• Portfolio clinic & Mr Bearbull - build a well-planned portfolio 
• Expert tools - track and manage investments effortlessly
• Plus free delivery to your home or office

Subscribe Now