We all know that Simon Thompson has an eye for a great share bargain, but what's less well known is that he also has an eye for a great bottle of wine. I've been badgering him to write me a wine piece for the blog for some time, and he has finally relented. We're not going to bother with the usual tasting notes type nonsense here - quite frankly, we've other things to think about, like getting a special double Christmas issue and January's Tips of the Year together. All you need to know is these are all lovely wines, at a reasonable price tag, that you'll enjoy drinking.
(This isn't Simon by the way, although I hear that, having seen this picture, he is now in the market for a 'wine helmet')
Simon says: "All these wines are award winners and I would recommend all of them. The Lindauer Sauvignon Blanc Brut is really interesting because the New Zealand winemakers started to produce it last year and it is a beautifully constructed wine. The Saint Clair Pioneer Block Sauvignon Blanc 2011 Marlborough is absolutely stunning but is twice the price of The Ned Black Label Waihopai River Sauvignon Blanc 2011 Marlborough. Saint Clair Vicar's Choice Sauvignon Blanc 2011 is amazing value. The pinots are very delicate and clean and have been a great hit with all our friends."
1. The Ned Noble Sauvignon Blanc 2010 Marlborough 375ml Half-bottle - £9.99 Majestic Wine
2. The Ned Waihopai River Pinot Noir 2011 - £9.99 Majestic Wine
3. Saint Clair Pioneer Block Sauvignon Blanc 2011 Marlborough - £13.99 Majestic Wine
4. St Clair Estate Selection Pinot Noir 2010/2011 Marlborough - £10.99 Majestic Wine
5. Saint Clair Estate Selection Sauvignon Blanc 2011 Marlborough - £10.99 Majestic Wine
6. Waimea Estate Pinot Noir 2010/2011 Nelson - £10.99 Majestic Wine
7. Lindauer Sauvignon Blanc Brut – £9.99 Waitrose
8. Lindauer Special Reserve NV – £10.99 Majestic Wine
10. The Ned Black Label Waihopai River Sauvignon Blanc 2011 Marlborough - £6.99 Majestic Wine
Simon says: "All of these Australian wines are great. The problem with Australia is the exchange rate which is now £1: AUS$1.50 making wines from Down Under upto 70 per cent more expensive than they were before the financial crisis in 2007! Two Hands (Bella’s Garden) has some huge shiraz premium wines, but they now come in at £35 a bottle rather than £22 a few years ago."
11. St Hallett The Reward Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 – £9.59 Majestic Wine
12. Dead Arm Shiraz 2008 d'Arenberg, McLaren Vale – £27 Majestic Wine
13. Two Hands 'Angels' Share' Shiraz 2010 McLaren Vale – £18 Majestic Wine
14. Two Hands Bella's Garden Shiraz 2010 Barossa Valley – £35 Majestic Wine
15. St. Hallett Single Vineyard Series Shiraz 2010 Dawkins Vineyard, Eden Valley – £13.99 Majestic Wine